Saturday, February 11, 2006

Ovation Inflation Strikes Again!

I rise today to take a stand against standing. At the end of four different performance events (two musical and two dramatic) this past week, I found myself sitting and applauding, when all others round me were vaulting to their feet. Three of these performances were good and clearly deserved a generous round of warm applause. One was outstanding, but it got the same acclaim as the other three since all four captured the now “de rigueur” standing “O.” I would claim that there is seldom much special about anything that happens all of the time.

Like its academic cousin, grade inflation, ovation inflation seems to spring from notions of misguided anti-elitism in society. If all receive the same "good" grade, differences are banished on the surface and no one’s self esteem will be crushed. Baloney! A one level fits all performance evaluation is no evaluation at all. One wonders if the egalitarian surge would be received as pleasurably if teachers or audiences were counseled to move their rewards down rather than up. I wonder how long recipients would put up with thunderous boos for all all of the time.

In the meanwhile I guess I’ll continue to vote with my seat and save my feet. Why not join me in standing against the herd by staying seated the next time ovation inflation strikes?

What think you about this issue?

1 comment:

Lee said...

Dead right! Although when you know that case and work with the director failing to stand can seem a little confrontational.

Featured Posts

Comments on CRT production of Fairview

  Fairview by Jackie Sibblies Drury is the 2019 winner of the Pulitizer Prize for drama.   It is a play that starts out like “The Jeffersons...