Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Early Departure by Chepe from Chihuahua

Oh my God! What time is it?



Is that the sunrise I see before me?



Chepe stands for the Chihuahua and Pacifico railway. It leaves every morning at 6:00 AM for Los Mochis on the Pacific side of Mexico. Those who could stay awake saw the sun slowly rise on the broad expanses of the Chihuahuan high plains.

Our destination was the mountain town of Creel. The train is the last surviving passenger train in Mexico and is clearly sustained primarily by tourists. It is roomy and comfortable, but the real treat is breakfasting on hot coffee, a steaming ham and cheese omelet, and refried beans and salsa in the dining car as the scenery rolls by on either side. It can't get much better than that.

No comments:

Featured Posts

Book Review of The Exchange by John Grisham

  I recall reading and enjoying John Grisham’s THE FIRM (and the movie made from it) a long time ago. When I saw that  The Exchange  was a s...