Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Thoughts on masks

I am not a poet and haven't tried to write any poetry or should I say faux poetry since I was in college. You will then hopefully forgive me for putting this piece out.  It represents some feelings I have had as the Covid crisis intensifies again and as the arguments over masking continue to rage.  

                                                  Thoughts On a Mask 12/27/21

Behind the cloud is darkness--

Even as eyes flash alive above.

I search for the hidden secrets   

Of hate or love,

Of joy or sorrow,

Of fatigue or desperation,       

Or perhaps nothing at all.

A vacuum may lie   

Under the skin of gauze.

Or is it fear?

The disease days

Press down endlessly.  

Specters in white 

Concerned and pale

Wait for the waning. 

When the cloud will pass,

When the cover can leave.  

When a cry of victory can rise.

 

Will the darkness remain?

Still, but within us,

and not in the mask.   

 

Jim De Young 

No comments:

Featured Posts

Comments on CRT production of Fairview

  Fairview by Jackie Sibblies Drury is the 2019 winner of the Pulitizer Prize for drama.   It is a play that starts out like “The Jeffersons...