Tuesday, February 06, 2024

What My Mother Told Me or How I Almost Failed Kindergarten

 

I am trying to write up little pieces of memories that will be incorporated in a fuller biography at some point. I did this one for our writing group this past week. 

Not too long ago, I read a brief essay by Robert Reich that told of his expulsion from his day care center when he was a small boy.  Young Bob had refused to eat another tasteless lunch prepared by the dragon-lady proprietor of the school and she had cashiered him out and sent him back to his parents with the dire warning that he was a petulant smart-ass and would never amount to anything. Granted that poor Oliver Twist had wanted a bit more gruel, but the Dickensian echoes do remain.  

Child nursery school behavior has also come up in the PBS Doc Marten series. I remember an episode where the Marten’s young son and only child, James, attracted teacher and parental concern when he did not appear to mix easily with the other children.  This James, like young Bob, was small in stature, but was basically shy rather than outspoken.

All of which leads me into one of my own early confrontations in the educational realm. This story was told to me by my mother a number of times when I was growing up and was the result of my still active penchant not to suffer fools gladly.  In the 1940’s the Milwaukee school system gave a competence test to all kindergarteners before promoting them to first grade. I suspect it involved such things as taking simple words or pictures and putting them into categories or crossing out things that did not belong in a group.  It was a late spring afternoon in  1943 that my mother said she received an urgent and concerned message from my kindergarten teacher and could she please come to the school for a conference at her earliest convenience. 

She diligently turned up the next day right after school with me in tow. The teacher, whose name was Miss Van Raalte, was probably around twenty-five and single although I no doubt thought she was a grouchy old maid. No matter. My mother said she was told that I had refused to complete the required promotion test and would be kept back in kindergarten for another semester if I did not pass it. Not only had I refused to do the required test, I had loudly asserted that I had done all of those exercises before and it was stupid to keep doing them over and over again.

Luckily, I had done what I was supposed to do on one account. I had been instructed to take all my work home to show my parents and I had done that.  My mother brought the papers with her to the meeting and was able to remind Miss Van Raalte that I had indeed not only completed all the various practices for the test, but had gotten lots of good-work stars affixed to the papers. A serious discussion and stern warnings  by both teacher and parent ensued. Both of them insisted that being a student and doing well in practices was never going to be a substitute for passing a required test. At this point, I was apparently convinced of my error and rapidly filled in the appropriate answers on the blank test sheet displayed by my teacher. Come the fall I was happily ensconced in a first-grade classroom and for the record can say that I have managed tests and promotions pretty well ever since.  

Dr. Jim De Young, PhD  2/3/2024  

No comments:

Featured Posts

Review of Close to Death by Anthony Horowitz

  Once again Anthony Horowitz retreats into a narrative quagmire by telling us the story of an author (himself) struggling to meet a publi...