Monday, September 14, 2026

Steve Barry THE OMEGA FACTOR

 


Steve Barry is touted as having millions of readers in multiple countries. I confess I have not been among them. His The Omega Factor is a long, rather uneven, and occasionally pedantic slog into the dark secrets perpetrated by the Catholic church over the years. If you have read any Dan Brown, you know what I am referring to. The church is fraught with venal, corrupt clergy and many secret underground cults--some of which have been functioning for a thousand years or more. The hero, Nick Lee, is some kind of United Nations employee in an area devoted to lost or purloined artwork. He has a past that includes a prison stretch for accidentally shooting a boyhood friend. Not much is made of this other than he now has a hatred of guns. He is also absent from the book for long sections on church history and some 14th century scenes that feature the painter Jan Van Eyck’s spy career before he created his famous Ghent Altarpiece—an art work that has had a checkered history over time.

In the current day, there is an art restorer named Kelsey. Conveniently, nine years ago, she was about to marry Nick just before she changed her mind and became a nun in a highly secretive order called the Maidens of St. Michael. Kelsey discovers some overpainting on one of Van Eyck’s altarpiece panels and Nick is traveling to see her when her art restoration studio is fire bombed. The panel is destroyed, and another young member of the order is killed by the Belgian police. Little is made of why a competent and sophisticated police force would fill a young woman with bullets other than it was needed to further the main plot, which now turns to the possession of a computer that has a digital copy of the lost panel on it.     

Enter now the Vatican’s group of scheming, venal Friars, Bishops, and Cardinals to unravel the secret protected by the Maidens of St. Michael. I trust you might be beginning to believe that I was on the verge of quitting this hodgepodge a number of times. I wish I had.

Perhaps I got up on the wrong side of the bed, but I can only give this one a bare two out of five stars.  

 

No comments:

Featured Posts

  Harvey, Samantha   ORBITAL Six multi-national astronauts, some men, some women, are aboard the International Space Station. They swoop a...