Sunday, March 19, 2006

More on teaching

Normally I just delete those anonymous messages that flow in offering inspiration or miracle inflation/deflation of body parts. Since I just made a comment about “Why We Taught” the other day, I thought this one deserved to be passed along as well. Read and no need to weep for us Argentina.


WHAT TEACHERS MAKE

The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. A CEO decided to explain the problems with education. He argued, "What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?"

He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about teachers: "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach." To stress his point he said to another guest; "Now you're a teacher, Susan. Be honest. What do you make?"

Susan, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, "You want to know what I make?

"I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.
I make a C+ feel like the winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor.
I make kids wonder.
I make them question.
I make them criticize.
I make them apologize and mean it.
I make them write.
I make them read, and then read some more.
I make them show all their work in math and
perfect their final drafts in English.

I make them understand that if you have real intelligence, you will follow your heart. And if someone tries to judge you by what you make, you should say, ‘You want to know what I make? I MAKE A DIFFERENCE. What do you make?’"


"Teachers make every other profession possible"

Thanks to the anonymous soul somewhere out there who first put these words down.

No comments:

Featured Posts

Comments on CRT production of Fairview

  Fairview by Jackie Sibblies Drury is the 2019 winner of the Pulitizer Prize for drama.   It is a play that starts out like “The Jeffersons...